So at the very end of the lesson she asked if I wanted her to "dunk" Alysse upside down into the water as if she was falling. She said she thought Alysse was ready for it but if she saw that Alysse wasn't turning or floating up, then she would pick her up out of the water. I didn't video b/c if Alysse couldn't do it, I didn't want memory of it.
She picked Alysse up as usual but instead of just dropped her down, she turned her and dove Alysse head first at an angle so she would go deeper into the water. Alysse immediately flipped over onto her back, eyes open in the water, and floated up to the top. I got chills and my eyes started watering. Shannon lifted her again from her float but turned her immediately back into the water head first. Alysse immediately flipped over again into her float and sat there until Shannon picked her up seconds later. Several parents had stopped to watch and we all just cheered for Alysse. I had a lump in my throat that I can't quite explain. I was so proud of Alysse - she has come such a long way! I was so grateful for Shannon and Kathleen for helping my baby survive if she fell into the water. I was just so happy that Alysse "got it" and I just wanted to hug her so tight. Poor baby had no idea why we were all so excited. I just feel so relieved and giddy. This whole process has been completely amazing. The first week I could not see how Alysse would ever be able to do it on her own. I had complete doubt even though they kept reassuring me. And sure enough, on her last day she could flip in upside down and make her way to the surface. Incredible. Then I wished I had video'd it!!!! I will definitely video next week if Kathleen does it with her again!!!
So the next two weeks we are back with Kathleen twice a week for maintenance. She will keep doing it over and over with Alysse until she feels like Alysse is ready for the test. I really want Shannon to be part of the test too since she was a huge part of all of this. Then we go once a week for 2 more weeks. Mark and I decided that we will keep her in year round, every other week. Shannon thinks that will be enough for her to maintain it. If they see that she's losing the turn or float, we will add another day here and there.
Shannon also said that I could get in the water with them so they could show me what to do with her in the water so work with her. She also showed me another thing Mark and I can do back and forth to keep her mind refreshed. I'm not sure he's on board but I will definitely do it.
Here is the video of her from yesterday. She is making a whining sound, which they say is good b/c it will alert us if she ever falls in the pool.
Oh my gosh--I want to cry and cheer all at the same time. Great job Alysse!
ReplyDelete