Boy am I naive. I always tell people that Avery isn't into boys and has never even uttered the words "cute" when referring to a boy. Addy on the other hand will dress in a certain color b/c it's Cooper's favorite, or wear something b/c she thinks Cooper will like it. She's been that way for 2 years now. Avery loves playing with boys but I always just say she's a tom boy. Well, Avery is sneaky and always has been. She obviously puts on a different front to me so I will tell people "Oh Avery doesn't even know what the word "cute" means or what it means to "like" a boy. We always joked about her marrying Carter, and they had a pretend wedding on the playground. But she never said Carter was cute or that she liked it. It was more of a fairytale - she marries Carter when they get older.
Kathryn called me the other day and said her daughter Jorie (who is Avery's BFF) told her "Don't tell Ms. Jana but Avery wants to marry Colby. It's funny b/c Colby is her buddy reader. But she doesn't know if she will marry him b/'c she kinda likes Jack too." Oh my Goodness!
I have heard about Colby since the first day of school b/c he started off sitting next to Avery, then he became her buddy reader, which means they read by themselves to each other each day. She also plays with him on the playground and says he's fun b/c she plays tag with him. Just the two of them. Again I just assumed it was b/c he liked playing boy games instead of pretending to be a princess like the other girls.
Jack is a boy that was in her kinder class and is now in her first grade class. He gets in trouble a lot and has a hard time learning. HE invited Avery to his party last year (one of 5 kids) and his mom told me how it made her feel good that Avery was always so nice to Jack... that some of the kids in their class were mean to him and that he really liked Avery. Avery has always been sweet to the kids that no one else will play with. Apparently he has a behavior/learning issue and cries when he is told to do something. Well, a couple weeks ago she told me how she didn't like Jack b/c he got in trouble and cried all the time. I explained to her that it wasn't a very good reason not to like someone. That she can choose not to play with them or sit by them because they get in trouble b/c that will keep her from getting in trouble, but that she shouldn't dislike someone b/c they cry and have a hard time in school. I told her to still be very nice to him but just don't play with him so she doesn't get in trouble too. I also told her what Jack's mom told me last year. So I can see why she would tell Jorie that she liked Jack... I don't think it was in the way Jorie made it out to be (but then again I'm probably naive to it, haha!).
Colby on the other hand makes sense but she has never admitted anything to me. I did ask her if there were any boys in her class that she was really good friends with and liked better than the others (not meaning it in a "liking" way). She said a few names but didn't make Colby seem more than the others. I said, so who are you going to marry when you get older. Her response "Carter."
So my conclusion to all this is that Avery will be the one to appear as the perfect, never get in trouble child. But as soon as she walks out of the house, she'll put on makeup and sneak over to a boys house, while I think she's at the movies with a girl. Addy on the other hand will try to walk out the door with makeup on and TELL me she's going to a boy's house. And when I tell her no, she will reply "You might has well let me put makeup on before I leave here b/c I'm just going to put it on when I leave if you don't... just like Avery does." Oh boy... those years are coming up way too quick.
Mark and I are in BIG trouble. Times THREE.
That is so funny! Isn't it crazy how different each child can be? Cooper loves his Addy! :)
ReplyDelete