This week was our dr follow ups since our insurance is about to change. We will no longer have copays...so we have to pay the full amt for each visit, but it does go toward our deductible.
First Avery had her thyoid ultrasound last week so we had the appt to go over the results yesterday. They did see a "shadow" on her right thyroid (the one that is underdeveloped I think). Being the nosey mom I am, I watched them measure what they called a nodule on the ultrasound. It was 6 mm by 8 mm. The dr said they don't do biopsies unless it is bigger than 1cm, which hers is not. So we go back in 6 months for another ultrasound and they will see what's going on with that nodule. Praying it goes away or shrinks by then!
Later on that afternoon, Alysse and I were back at TX Children's hospital for her optho appt. We were not due back until April 1st but I had some questions and didn't want to wait that long to have her seen. Plus it would cost us a lot more money for that follow up. After waiting an entire HOUR in the overcrowded waiting room, the dr saw her and said he notices great progress in her little eye. She is opening her lid much more now and keeps it open higher than it was. He thinks the patching is working well for her so we will continue to do it until our next appt which is in three months (May). He also said that her eye is following objects very well and seems to be working properly. I told him that sometimes it seems as if her eyeball wanders and he said as long as it's just an occasional wander, there is nothing to worry about. It just means that the vision in that eye isn't as good as the other one. If I notice that it wanders a lot, then he needs to see her right away. I asked him about the likelihood for surgery and he said there is just no way of knowing. But at the last appt he was really worried about her and contemplated whether or not to take action on the lid right then. He said now that he sees really good progess in that eye, she might not have to have the surgery until 3-5 yrs old if at all. We will just keep monitoring her vision and see if it continues to improve. As long as she is seeing well through that eye, we can keep pushing back the surgery. I was soooo happy with his appt and much happier with him (I guess since we got good news, haha!).
Then Wednesday Alysse and I took Avery to her dermatologist appt. He wanted to see her when she was 6 to remove the mole on her head. I didn't take her back last summer b/c she was swimming almost everyday, and I was pregnant so I really didn't feel like taking her. Avery was very prepared to have her mole removed and said she wanted to watch them take it off. GROSS! When I told her no, she asked if she could at least see what they were going to cut it off with and if she could see the mole after they took it off. GROSS GROSS!!! Well, the dr confirmed that it hasn't changed AT ALL since 2011 so he gave us the option to remove it now or wait until next summer. Avery opted to wait until next summer and he said that if it were his daughter, he would do the same. He said he's 99% sure that the mole would never develop into something serious but it's better to remove them while they are younger and the moles are smaller. I MIGHT take her to an actual pediatric derm (since he's mostly adults) and get another opinion before we cut it off. Dr. Gonzales recommended that anyway.
So YAY for Alysse's eye and YAY for Avery's mole. We aren't sure about Avery's thyroid but hopefully that will be a YAY too next time we go!
No comments:
Post a Comment