Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Avery's 1st 9 week Grades

It's a whole new world this year b/c Avery actually gets number grades in Language, Math and Reading.  The rest are still E,S,N or U.  I was so nervous for her when we found out she was getting number grades b/c it's so different from completion grades.  Her teacher posts all of her grades online as they get graded so I've kept up to date on Avery's progress.  Most of her grades were A's... but she did have one 75 and one 70 in science and social studies which brought her overall grade down.  She still ended up with A's in those classes thankfully.  She got a 97 in Reading, a 97 in Language and a 98 in Math.  The rest of her grades were S's and E's.  Go Avery! 

The strangest thing was that she received a Literacy Report from the school (as all students did) telling us where she stands with her reading.  I knew from her teacher conference that she is on level I which is 2nd grade level.  Well this letter told us she has two areas of improvement, 1) recognizing letters and sounds and 2) vocabulary. Mark and I were really confused.  How can she be so far ahead in reading level but not know letters and sounds?  I can understand having trouble with vocabulary b/c she's only 6... and I always had a hard time with vocabulary.  I can relate to having trouble knowing the meaning of words.  But letters and sounds?  I emailed her teacher and she called me one evening.  We talked for like 45 minutes.  Basically they  have a computer test that all students take.  It assesses her based on her answers.  It's oral so Avery wears headphones and listens to the questions and answers her best guess.  After 5 seconds it times out and moves to the next question.  So there were 1 or 2 that Avery missed b/c she just didn't answer them.  There were others that she missed where it appears that she heard the letter wrong... like putting a "v" instead of a "z".  Avery's hearing isn't very well b/c of all the tubes and fluid issues.  We've always known she can't hear as well and that the bell curve for her hearing is must flatter than it should be.  So I am not worried AT ALL about whether she knows her letters.  She did miss some vowels that I think were legitimate mistakes.  It asked which vowel made the "uh" sound.  Instead of "u" she put "a". Again I can see where she would miss that b/c umbrella and america sound the same in the beginning but have different letters. So that's a little harder.  She missed some positional words in the vocabulary section so we are working on those.  Then there were more that she just didn't answer.  The test was like 45 minutes so it seems like she just got bored and tired of doing it.   They took another test on the computer today so her teacher is going to let me know if she made any improvement since last time. 

Overall I am proud of Avery.  I think she is doing very well.  With her birthday being so late compared to other kids in her grade, I always worry if it will hurt her.  But she seems to be keeping up and doing well.  She's going to be like me though and have to study, but will make pretty good grades.  Addy will be like Mark where she'll never pick up a book and already know all the answers.   I wonder who Alysse will be like???

No comments:

Post a Comment