I'm behind on updating but I plan on going back and adding everything after Addy goes to school next week. Avery started school Monday and did great (pics to come). I didn't cry this year although I feel a little emotional inside. The last few weeks I feel myself getting teary eyed with the lump in my throat. The girls are growing up so fast and it just melts my heart.
Avery did a flip flop clinic a couple weeks ago and she was so tiny compared to the others. I took Addy for a date at the ice cream shop and got back to the gym after an hour - the clinic was only two hours. Avery was just standing back watching everyone. Other kids were jumping in front of her and she never got a turn. Apparently she didn't know what she was supposed to do and wouldn't ask her coach to help her. It was pretty chaotic so he never noticed she didn't get a turn. She looked scared and I motioned for her to grab the coach. She shook her head as in fear and my heart dropped. She is so much like me when I was that age. She looked so nervous! I completely understood the feeling she had and I just wanted to run out there and hug her. She wouldn't do anything, so Mark finally went out on the mat and told the coach to help her. She was great after that.
I also got emotional the other day in the car. Avery is terrified of tornados (just like I was) and gets nervous when there are any darker-than-white clouds in the sky. There was a pretty good rain storm ahead and Avery asked if there was a tornado. I reassured her there wasn't but she responded "Mommy can we pray? I'm scared." Again my heart dropped, but with happiness this time. I always tell her to pray if she gets scared or worried about something - particularly at school or at night when I'm not with her. I guess she's getting old enough to remember to do that now. It made me sooo happy that she immediately thought about praying in her time of worry. I turned to pray with her (I wasn't driving) and she seemed better after that. I really hope as she grows older, she will continue to turn to pray as opposed to destructive things when she's going through a hard time. Today Addy saw a fire truck driving with it lights flashing and Addy asked me if we could pray for the people they were going to see. They really have kind hearts some times!
I also got emotional dropping Avery off at church. Again it was chaotic and she always gets nervous when things are crazy. I walked her to the line where they were playing a game and I walked off. She gave me a frantic look and I just couldn't leave her like that. I walked back to her and she said she didn't know what to do, so I told her to ask the teacher. I kissed her and walked off again. This time she ran after me and I walked her back to the line and introduced her to the girl in front of her and asked "Lauren" if Avery could stand by her. Lauren was very sweet so Avery stood by her side. I waited at the door to make sure she was ok but she gave me another frantic look and mouthed that she still didn't know what to do. I walked back over, again, and showed her that the teacher was explaining it to all the kids when they got up front. When the teacher turned around, I asked her if she would help Avery when it was her turn b/c she was a little nervous about not knowing what to do. I saw Avery sigh with relief and gave me a huge smile. She just needed a little reassurance and she was fine. It broke my heart to see her like that b/c I know that feeling so well. I really hope she isn't like that the rest of her life!! Poor baby!
The other time I got emotional was after church on Sunday. The girls took their backpacks to school for "blessing of the back packs." Addy took her lunch box since she doesn't get her bag until school starts. Avery's class got a cute tag to put on hers but Addy didn't. On the way home, Avery told Addy that she could put the tag on her lunch box next week when she started school since she didn't have one. She said "I'll put it on my back pack this week since I'm starting and you can put it on yours next week when you start." They are being so sweet to each other - it makes me so happy inside to see them treating each other so well. They really are best friends!
It's been fun spending time with just Addy. She's such a hoot! Some of the things that come out of her mouth are the cutest things I've ever heard - I wish I walked around with a tape recorder to remember it all. I miss Avery though and it makes it so much easier that she loves school so much. Next week will probably be hard with both girls gone! :(
No comments:
Post a Comment