Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Avery 6 Year Well Checkup

I took Avery to her six year old well checkup.  I never took her to her five year so I figured she needed her eyes and ears checked.  She's so grown up.  She weighs 39 lbs (14%) and is 43" tall (16%).  Her BMI is 14 (29%).  She's petite but growing!  She missed a lot of the letters on her vision test but they said she passed.  Maybe they just started her off at the really small letters.

Avery has had lumps in her neck for quite some time.  I noticed them when she had strep throat last time and they never went away.  I thought they were lymph nodes at first but it's been 4+ months and they are still there.  When she leans her head back, they poke out of her neck.  I asked her dr about it and he said it's really close to her thyroid so he wanted to do an ultrasound to make sure she didn't have a nodule on it.  Everything else checked out great. 

The next day we had her ultrasound scheduled for 2:30.  When we woke up that morning, Sydney wouldn't move.  She wouldn't come downstairs, eat treats, didn't want to go on a walk, and just laid there.  I had to lift her front paws and force her to walk down the stairs.  She was hurting, and I was worried!  I got her outside but she still wouldn't do anything.  She just wanted to lay in the grass in the shade.  She was laying in an ant bed so I pushed her body (all 70 lbs) to try to move her off.  She yelped in pain which worried me more.  I called Mark to see if he could come get her b/c I wouldn't be able to get her in my car to take her to the vet.  He rushed home and got her in right away.  The vet couldn't find anything wrong with her!  They said they could do blood but it would cost us $300!  We decided to wait a day b/c Mark said she started seeming more alert since he got there.  She was able to jump in and out of his truck which is the most she had done all morning.  Thankfully by the end of the day she was getting better but still not 100%.  We think something was wrong with her dog food b/c she wouldn't touch it.  She ate everything else but that, and even ate other dog food.  Needless to say, we threw away the brand new bag. 

While we were stressed and upset about Sydney, Avery had her ultrasound.  It was a stressful day!  Texas Children's in Katy did it - we had never been there and were very happy with the process.  It wasn't crowded even though we had to wait 30 minutes to go back.  I was impressed how the dr who reads the ultrasounds came out and went over all the results with me before we left.  I've never had that before!  He said the knots in her neck appear to be lymph nodes so he isn't concerned about that.  What he IS concerned about is her thyroid, which has nothing to do with the knots.  Her right thyroid is the right size it should be at her age.  Her left one, however is significantly smaller and underdeveloped.  He showed me the differences in size and I could see how much smaller it was.  Her also pointed out how she has multiple cysts on both thyroids, although really tiny.  He asked about the history of thyroid cancer in our family, etc.  I told him about my dad's side of the family who all has a history of thyroid disorder.  What I didn't know at the time is that my grandma had to have her thyroid removed b/c she had a goiter on it.  He told us we needed to monitor it and follow up with her pedi regarding the steps to take next.

Her dr called me yesterday and said he wants to have bloodwork done to test her thyroid.  So we are off to the lab today to have that done.  Prayers have been going out from our house that everything goes ok!!

No comments:

Post a Comment