Today Avery got punished like a teenager. Some might think it was harsh but she needs to learn the consequences of lying. Her class get a conduct sheet with each day on it. If they don't get a warning, they get a sticker. Last semester Avery had a rough start and got three (maybe four) total conduct marks in her folder. We came down pretty hard on her and let her know that conduct marks were unacceptable. We know that children have good and bad days but if you give them an inch, they will take a mile.
Since January when the semester started, Avery has not had a mark. Her teacher even told me how wonderful she was doing in class. Well yesterday I got a letter sent home that Avery got invited to a party during school hours for kids who read a certain number of books. I filled out the waiver and Avery pulled her folder to show me she got a sticker yesterday. I told her how proud I was of her and started to sign the folder. I noticed there was a black marker circling the sticker and thought it looked odd. Then I realized a sticker from the previous week was missing. She had placed the sticker from the week before over the conduct mark she got that day. I was furious. I wasn't so much upset that she got a conduct mark b/c she's done so well this semester. I was so mad at her intentional deceit to hide it from us. I had a long talk with her about how lying is really bad and she should have been honest about it from the beginning. She didn't seem to remorseful when is so unlike her. I told her I was considering not letting her go to the party on Thursday.
Then Mark got home and I told her she needed to tell her dad what she did. When I told him I was considering not letting her go, he immediately asked why I was even considering letting her go. Then Avery popped off with a smart remark about how I already filled out her waiver and everything. I quickly put her back in place and told her that was BEFORE I knew about the lying. What happened to my sweet child????
So this morning I sent an email to her teacher informing her that Avery would not be going to the party. She needs to learn that lying is unacceptable and her punishment is missing the party that she really wants to go to. I'm such a mean mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment