Since my hormones are extremely elevated right now, I feel the need to vent about my feelings toward pregnancy. Seriously, why does it have to be so stressful? The internet makes everything worse even though sometimes it does ease our fears.
It's been 5 years since I was pregnant last so I forgot about all the things you can't do. Alcohol is a given to give up and I have no problen doing that (although some nights I think it would be nice to have a beer - minutes later the thought of throwing up beer makes that thought less appealing). I knew I could only take Tylenol and stay away from Ibuprofen. But man - all these books about what foods to stay away from, chemicals not to put on your body, etc... makes me crazy!
I can't eat certain kinds of fish and only small amounts of other kinds. Thankfully ALL fish sounds pretty disgusting so I'm just staying away from it all. The smell is awful! Lunch meat contains bacteria that can cross the placenta and hurt the baby. So if I eat lunch meat it has to be cooked to steaming. Thankfully lunch meat also sounds disgusting so I haven't had much of that except Subway Sandwiches and they toasted it for me. No caffeine is what they suggest but then say it's ok to have two small glasses of coffee a day. I have to sneak a glass every now and then to help with these horrible headaches.
Antibiotics - apparently they are ok to take if you really need them, and only certain antibiotics are ok. So when do you really need them? Apparently the lady at the HEB clinic thinks its ok to give just as a precaution since I'm pregnant then advised me to take ibuprofen, which I know is a no no. My throat really did hurt bad and I had been sick for two weeks so I went ahead and just took half the prescription...only to find out that's bad to do. geez people.
Acne - some women have that natural pregnancy glow. Not me! I have pimples! Huge, painful pimples. So I read in my book benzoyl peroxide is ok to use (proactiv) but I wanted to confirm with my dr first b/c I found a website that said not to use it. She said it's ok but she'd rather give me something else that's better while pregnant. So I looked it up online and it said it SHOULD be safe during pregnancy but human studies have not been performed long enough to confirm there is no harm to fetuses. It's a catagory B which means that most drs will allow you to take it. The website did say to weigh the risks of using it vs not using it. I have acne... so should I look hideous and have a painful face for the next 9 months or use the cream that may or may not cause problems to my unborn child?
Just when I start not freaking out so much and just blowing it off, someone points something out "oh well you really shouldn't do that." Then I feel like a horrible person for doing something that may or may not be bad for the baby.
So many rules... hard to keep up with them!
Don't sleep on your back. Drink lots of water. Don't ride a bike. Exercise but don't get your heartrate too high. Get lots of rest. Don't stand in front of a microwave. Don't put your laptop on your lap. What about Iphones? Can I use it close to my belly? I mean how far do we go? Autism is so prevalent now - so is our careless use of technology that beams radiation into the fetus one of the causes? Who knows.
I do know there is way too much to remember. It's amazing I gave birth to two healthy children. I'm sure I followed all the rules. By the third pregnancy I'm tired and it's hard to remember everything. Thankfully I only have a month left of work then I'm off for good. Hopefully then I will have time to remember all the do's and don'ts before the baby is born!
No comments:
Post a Comment