Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ridiculous

Things are starting to get ridiculous. Next month our house will be five years old. Things started going wrong all at one time. 

We thought our hot water heater was going out b/c all of our hot water was brown and rusty.  Mark went into the attic to check it out and noticed that the AC unit had fallen and the seal had broke.  So cold air was blowing into the attic, creating moisture and mildew.  We had a repairman come out and quote us $1325 to fix it all.  Thankfully Mark did some research online and found out that our hot water heater WASN'T broke - that the water pressure got too low from too many things running (shower, bath, washing machine and sprinkler system) and the sediment in the bottom of the heater started coming out with the water.  He also thinks he can fix the AC problem himself... so we just saved $1325!!  I feel like our house angel was watching over us and put the brown water in the bathtub so we were forced to look in the attic to see the AC.  That could have been a MESS if we didn't get to it in time.

We also have some plumbing issues so we will need a plumber to come out and check out our pipes.  The sinks stink and the drains in the bath tubs don't drain well.  He'll probably had to flush them which will cost us a pretty penny.

Then the next week I noticed the carpet going into the bathroom from our bedroom was soaked and started smelling sour.  I blamed the maid b/c she was just there that day, but Mark realized that night when he was taking a shower that water was pouring out of the "breathe holes" in the bottom of the shower.  Sorry Olga for blaming you!  Mark decided that he was going to cut a small hole in the sheetrock to see where the pipes were leaking.

I was upstairs getting the baby out of her crib when I heard a frantic "OH SH$T" from downstairs.  Followed up with "JANA GET DOWN HERE NOW!!!!!"  Mark NEVER yells for my help so I knew it was bad.  When I walked into the bedroom, water was shooting out of the wall, hitting the window on the complete opposite side of the room.  Thankfully he had laid a tarp on top of the bed to protect it from sheetrock dust when he started sawing.  Everything else got soaked.  He was yelling for me to put my hand over the water coming out so it didn't spray the whole room.  Then he realized the water was scalding hot and I had the baby in my hand so I couldn't do much anyway.  We were both in panic mode.  He ran outside to turn our water off, and upstairs to turn off the hot water heater, while I just sat and watched water shoot into our bedroom.  What worried me the most was that he had his saw plugged in right by the hole in the wall and it was getting wetter than everything else.  Thank goodness he didn't get electrocuted.  He finally got the water off and walked into the bedroom to survey the damage.  He was soaking wet and panting from rushing around.  We both looked at each other with "what in the world just happened" on our faces when the door bell rang.  It was the bee keeper coming to take care of our next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment