Thursday, June 19, 2014

Great Day

Well school has been really rough for Alysse. She cries the entire 6 hrs she is there. Last week she ate and slept well but cried during everything else. Tuesday was definitely her worst day. She wouldn't eat and only slept 45 mins. My friend Nikki went to pick her son up right at naptime and Alysse recognized her and lost it. Once again I picked her up feeling guilty about her little puffy eyes staring back at me. I still, however felt like I was doing the best thing for her. It's only two days a week for now so she needs it. I need it. The time I am getting with the big girls is invaluable. They are loving it as much as I am. 

I told her teacher that I'm hoping for just one accomplishment each day. If just one good thing could happen then we were making progress. She did tell me that Tuesday, although she cried the whole day, there was five minutes where she walked away from the mat and wandered around the room. They were supposed to be sitting on the mat but Ms Seres let her look around bc it was the first time she was interested in the classroom. It didn't last long but she was happy she did it at all. I also noticed when I picked her up Tuesday, that was the first day she wasn't crying when I got there. Her eyes were puffy from the day but she wasn't hanging onto the teacher crying like last week. So even though they said she had a rough day, I saw two huge accomplishments!!!

I had a lot of talks with Alysse Tuesday and Wednesday about how school is fun and that Mommy will be right back. I made it a routine that we either got snow cones or ice cream after school so she can associate school with ice cream and ice cream is good. Mark even went to a Father's Day ice cream social last Friday which I thought would help her feel more comfortable. So last night when I said "Lyssey no cry at school ok?"  She would reply "Lyssey I ceam". She caught on! 

Today I dropped her off and her teacher asked for a hug and Alysse actually reached out for her!  Then she cried when I gave her away but I said again "mommy be right back and we will get ice cream!"  

I dropped by at 10:20 to check on her bc I knew she would be on the playground. I drove my car by the fence and immediately saw her. She was walking around - not crying and actually playing!!! I got tears in my eyes. This was a major breakthrough. When I picked her up her teachers said how awesome she did and she barely cried. She participated in her activities and although she didn't sleep long, she walked around the room playing with other friends and hanging out. I could not believe it!!!!  I was so happy - we all jumped up and down and she had the biggest smile. She said really loud "Lyssey happy!!!"  We all went for ice cream at BR this time. She knew exactly why we went and said "Lyssey cool. Lyssey happy!" Over and over. This was a great day for her. 

I got this note in her folder. She also got a whole sheet of stickers from her teacher for having such a great day. I really like it there so far. I think Alysse will too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment